Friday, May 22, 2009

"House" star Peter Jacobson speaks on the show


Peter Jacobson is one of the newest members of the House cast, having joined last season before the bus crash incident (on the show). Since then, the show has taken a couple of twists and turns, including the unexpected suicide of Kutner (played by Kal Penn, who left the show to work for President Obama), and the season finale where House checks himself into a mental hospital. Peter, who plays Dr. Taub, gave his thoughts on how the show is going.

How has the reaction to the season finale, where House checks himself into a psychiatric hospital been? "Pretty great. It definitely differs from last season's very dramatic bus crash. This was a more subtle intensity, I think ... I've had a lot of people come up to me and demand to know how long [House is] going to be in the looney bin and what's going to happen to him. It seems to me that House' fans are pretty moved by the episode. I thought it was a pretty neat twist at the end."

What would you like to see happen to Taub next season? "Ideally, House will disappear and it will just become Taub's hospital. I mean I think that's sort of where they are going anyways. [Laughs] No, I would like to see House returned healed and unhealed because, you know, the character and the show are dependent on that fantastic tension between House's sane behavior and his insane behavior. We clearly can't cure him completely."

Going back a little bit in this season, do the Kutner suicide feel like it fit to you? He obviously had to leave, since Kal Penn was quitting to work for President Obama in Washington D.C. "I thought it was obviously shocking for us as it was for the audience ... I can understand the frustration with some that it just felt too out of nowhere ... Really, in terms of the plot line, and being just a television show, which is all it is, I liked ... it. It's hard for me to look at it from the audience's perspective because it was such an intense time for me to play Taub reacting to that ... drama. That felt very real for me ... I didn't feel like I was in an episode or in a situation where I was being asked as an actor to play something that made absolutely no sense and was impossible. I think that we made it as real as we possibly could. I felt it was a really good episode. [Laughs]"

No comments: