Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Paula Abdul talks "Idol" and drugs


Paula Abdul chatted with ABC about all things American Idol -- whether Kara DioGuardi was forcing her off the show, what it was like to add a fourth judge, and working with Simon Cowell. She also quickly touches on the drug/alcohol rumors about her.

On rumors that DioGuardi would replace her next season: "I don't think anyone [can]. First of all, Kara says 'I could never replace you.' And I said, whenever there is change it's not about replacing anybody. It's about possibly moving on."

How she found out Idol added a fourth judge: "I just got out of this hospital this past August. I had three days to pack and go on the road. I found out on the way to the airport ... I thought that respectfully all of us as a group, maybe we could even figure this out together, and I was surprised because Simon has always been against the fourth. We've had guest judges come in before, and he banned that from happening anymore."

On 'Idol' judge DioGuardi: "Well, I started her success. And I'm proud of it. Happy of it. I moved a stranger from New York, told her to give two weeks' notice to Billboard magazine, and moved a stranger into my home in L.A ... I actually think that Simon got mad that we are friends and that I actually knew her and that her humble beginning began sleeping in my guest bedroom and I just believed in her."

On working with Simon Cowell: "He's a bully, he's a masterful bully ... The first day I went to work on season one I quit seven times. Seven times. Because I couldn't believe that someone was actually getting away with crushing fragile kids. This happens behind your back, [not] in front of your face. I couldn't take the pain that I saw, and I think being an artist who has had success, it's very vulnerable when you are the talent. And when someone attacks you with criticism that isn't constructive, sometimes it's hard to take."

On her rumored prescription drug and alcohol use: "Never. I've never been drunk in my life. I don't like it. It's not my thing. Spending money on clothes and shoes -- that's another thing."

No comments: