Thursday, April 30, 2009

Robin Wright Penn speaks about her high school years and her future


Robin Wright Penn got some sh*t ass news yesterday -- her husband Sean Penn filed for divorce for the second time in two years. That didn't stop her from fulfilling her duties though. She had an interview scheduled with Interview magazine and still went through with it. Sean wasn't brought up at all, so this interview is drama-free. She seems really nice, too -- I feel so bad for her since it's been said more than once that Sean is a total d*ck.

COPPOLA: Were you popular in high school?

PENN: I was very much a loner. I had two girlfriends. I had more male friends—I’ve always been more comfortable with guys. I don’t get that chick-vibe thing. And yet, I was chosen for homecoming queen.

COPPOLA: Really?

PENN: But I was not popular at all. I actually thought it was going to be like the scene in Carrie [1976], with the pig’s blood. [laughs] That’s what it felt like—like I was being set up.

COPPOLA: What makes you connect with your director?

PENN: Gosh . . . Being understood. And I would say that goes for both sides. I think you have to have an understanding of each other’s ideas and visions, regardless of whether you agree with them. You have to speak the same language.

COPPOLA: So what’s in the future for you?

PENN: I’m ready to continue this work of actually not being afraid. [sighs] I just feel like it took me a long time to grow up and to stop being inhibited in my work. I would read scripts and go, “Oh, I’m not right. I could never do this. I could never achieve this character. This would be better for somebody else.” I remember calling directors numerous times and saying, “Oh, you should cast so-and-so instead of me. They’re much better for the role.”

COPPOLA: Who were some of the people you suggested? That will tell me who you admire.

PENN: Oh, my god, I don’t know . . . You know, Lili Taylor, who I love. Or Samantha Morton. I can’t remember. But I think I’ve been ready for a few years to just blow open the doors. And I really want to direct something. I think I’ll start with a documentary and get my feet wet. But I don’t have that fear of jumping off the cliff, where before, I always used to just stop and ask for directions, and you would kind of see that reticence in the work. So now, I’m completely rejuvenated when I get out there, and I’m ready to do more, play more.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The divorce has become a common thing now a days. But in India we will worship the marriage. Michigan