Thursday, April 23, 2009

Kara DioGuardi admits to eating disorder


In an interview with Extra, American Idol's newest judge Kara DioGuardi admits something she's kept a secret for about 25 years -- she used to have an eating disorder.

[I] had kind of a binge eating disorder where instead of dealing with my emotions, I would stuff them down with food. I never threw up or starved myself ... It was an eating disorder. I actually went into a treatment center for it. It was definitely that excess eating to kind of just stuff all the emotions down and the emotions were that I really was a creative kid who didn't know she was creative and didn't have those outlets because I was always afraid to join the theater group and not perform. [But] the moment I started doing music, the moment I did what I loved to do in my life and committed to it, I don't have those problems anymore... I have my outlet.

I'm sure there's a ton of girls and even guys out there that struggle with the same thing, or are emotional eaters (just look at all of the contestants on The Biggest Loser), so I think it's pretty cool that she's coming out with it and showing that just because she's a celeb doesn't mean she's not human and hasn't had obstacles to overcome.

No comments: