Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Claire Danes Blackbook magazine


You'll find Claire Danes on the cover of the September Fall issue of Blackbook magazine, and inside you'll find a sa-weet little interview and photo spread of her. Check out highlights of the interview, where she talks about breaking up a relationship between Billy Crudup and a 7-months-pregnant Mary-Louise Parker, what she really thinks of monogamy, her engagement to Hugh Dancy, and more, including pics from her spread.

On Billy Crudup leaving a seven-months pregnant Mary-Louise Parker for Claire: "That was a choice I made to fall in love. It's unpleasant to be cast in such an unflattering role, but I just had to remain steadfast. I was living with the same kind of integrity that I had always lived with. As a public person you're serving a certain function, and you're a canvas for people to project their own hopes and fears onto, so you do have to perform a kind of mental trick and distance yourself from it. But there are times of weakness in which you wonder if what they wrote is relevant to you or representative of you."

On monogamy: "I've always wanted to be in a partnership, I've always wanted to have that kind of intimacy and collaborate with someone in such a deep way. But I think that can be achieved in a lot of ways. I was talking to my friend recently about monogamy-is it feasible, is it realistic? I resolved that there isn't really a better model. We just can't shake monogamy. It definitely demands a kind of rigor and discipline and selflessness. But it's also fun."

On fiance Hugh Dancy: "He's such a cutie patootie. Sometimes I forget just how good-looking he is. While relationships are work, this just didn't feel like it. It's the kind of work that feels energizing rather than enervating."

On her upcoming marriage: "There's that pledge, and people talk about it being claustrophobic but I find it the opposite. I find it very freeing to know that, okay, it takes constant nurturing and attention, but I can also stop looking for the one-that's established. I can apply myself in other ways now. I have more time and energy to get shit done."

On turning 30: "It was a shock when I got on the treadmill and had to punch in my information. I had to write 30 when the machine asked me my age. I'm quite relieved, because I started acting when I was very young. And I think, growing up in New York, that my maturity was disproportionate to my actual age. So it's nice to kind of catch up with myself. I don't feel so freaky now."





No comments: