Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Celebrity potty training secrets


Ever wonder how Hollywood celebrities seem to have the cutest, well-behaved kids (like Suri Cruise and Matilda Rose Ledger), then look at your kids and think they're possessed -- ESPECIALLY when it comes to potty training? Check out these tips from some celeb mothers (who happen to be insanely hot.)

Chyler Leigh (Grey's Anatomy): "Once my son (who's now 5), became aware that he had to poop at around 2 years old, he would hide and/or suddenly become very quiet. One day we had put him in his room for his nap and he decided that he no longer wanted to keep his dirty diaper on. Well, since he had been making noise and suddenly got quiet, I figured that he had either fallen asleep very quickly or was up to no good. My husband ran upstairs to check on him and then immediately yelled for me. Assuming the worst, I headed up. And sure enough, my son had taken his dirty diaper (and all that was inside of it) and smeared it all over the wall. Unfortunately for us, we had a short cut shag carpet that the remnants of poo easily burrowed into. That's when we knew that it was time to look into potty training."

Melora Hardin (The Office): "My first daughter potty trained herself by 18 months (because of the cloth diapers -- I'm convinced). Our second daughter didn't get out of nighttime diapers until she was a little over 4, but as soon as she said to me she wanted to not wear a diaper to bed, we started letting her go and there have been many wet beds to deal with, but we have a great waterproof mattress cover (from Pottery Barn Kids) under the sheets. We still take her to the bathroom in the middle of the night when one of us gets up to go. It's pretty funny because she stays asleep when we put her on the potty -- we can plop her right back on the bed after and she never even notices. Now she rarely has an accident. When she does have an accident, we try to make light of it and tell her it's no big deal, but when there are dry sheets we always try to make sure and tell her how proud we are of her."

Brooke Burke: "I potty trained my first daughter on an island, she was able to go in nature when she felt the sensation, so there were no accidents trying to make it to a restroom."

Melissa Joan Hart: "Too many to count. But I did end up cutting a hole in Mason's diaper to try to get him to go #2 on the potty, and when it fell out of his diaper, he ran around the bathroom, yelling and stepping in it. It was traumatic, but it worked."

Nancy O'Dell (Access Hollywood): "Chocolate seems to work wonders! Ashby takes after her father and LOVES anything chocolate....M&Ms, chocolate chip cookies, etc. After she has a successful potty time, I sometimes give her a sweet surprise! Now she can't wait to go the the potty because she loves to get her M&M's after."

Chandra Wilson: "I would have my girls spend time sitting (on the potty) until the tinkle showed up. Then we would "pat, pat, pat, pat, put it in the potty" with the tissue."

Joan Lunden: "Well with twins, when one has to go, it gives the other the idea that maybe THEY have to go too! In fact, one time I went into my twins' Max and Kate's room and smelled something suspicious. I looked in the toilet, looked around the room, but found nothing. Later that evening, when I still smelled the suspect odor, I asked the kids about it and found out that while one had been using the toilet, the other had to go so badly that he went number 2 in the trash can!"

No comments: