Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Michael J. Fox in Good Housekeeping mag


Michael J. Fox sat down for an interview with the staff of Good Housekeeping magazine to touch on his battle with Parkinson's Disease and how it has affected his marriage.

Life, Before/After Parkinson's: "Well, the first part of my life was to be an actor and maybe have some success at that. Then [it was time] to find somebody to be in a relationship with and have a life that way. Because of Parkinson's, I had to change: How can I be of service here? Is there something unique to my situation that I can use to help people? I did not have the wherewithal to invent that. It just happened in front of me and had me join in."

On Reaction to Him Being Sick: "At first, it was uncomfortable. Nobody likes to say, "Hey, look at me!" I got this thing, and I spent seven years hiding it. It was counter intuitive for me to do that, but almost instantly [after my announcement], I saw the first couple of days the coverage was about, you know, 'Fox's Parkinson's, blah, blah, blah.' Then, two days after that, I saw the coverage turn. It started to become, 'Can young people get Parkinson's?'."

When He Felt Like He Earned the Good Housekeeping Seal: "When I just got diagnosed, I quit drinking, and Tracy and I were having probably the toughest time we've had in our marriage. It was early on, and we came through it. We had talked about having more kids, and for a while there, every time I brought it up, she changed the subject ... And then one day we were watching Sam run through the bushes with one of his cousins, and Tracy turned to me and said, "He'd be a great brother." I knew then that she was ready to have more kids; that she trusted me [enough] to have more kids with me. And the Good Housekeeping Seal was when we got the sonogram, and it was twins. That's when you kinda knew. An extra one, a bonus baby."

On Keeping His Marriage Fresh: "Here's the thing with Tracy and me: We like focusing more on the comedy and less on the drama. The secret to a good marriage, as far as I am concerned, is a joke I make: Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty. Tracy and I are taken aback sometimes when people come up to us and give me this sad moon face and then they give Tracy a hug, and say, 'You are so strong.' We roll our eyes at each other, because we are having a really good time."

How Sick He Considers Himself: "Not very much, not very sick. It just becomes what it is. Like right now, I'm just weathering this [tremor] as I'm talking to you; I just need to pace around a little bit. [I've learned] to make the separation: It's purely a physical thing, and if you don't care what it looks like and it really does not feel that bad, then it's not that big a deal. It's just distracting. So [getting up] I am going to walk around for a second."

If you're a huge Michael J. Fox fan like me, check out the rest of the interview at (GoodHousekeeping.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://technologiesuae.com/#5193 mask xanax drug test - usual dosage xanax anxiety