Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Drew Barrymore is a cover girl


Drew Barrymore rocks the cover of W mag for the April issue, and hits a bunch of topics. (Sidebar, I REALLY wish she kept the dark hair...not a fan of her with blonde.)

On Taking Dramatic Roles and Directing: "It's been the years of fears -- three straight years of discipline and effort ... I felt I had more inside of me than I've been putting out there.

On 'Grey Gardens' Director Michael Sucsy's Opinion of Her: "I understood ... He thought, ‘She talks like a Valley girl and probably doesn't have what it takes.' I had nothing to prove that I could do this."

On Her Attitude: "I get out of bed with a spring in my step like, I'm going to f---in' rock this day. I'm going to make people happy. Here I go."

On Playing Edie: "I was excited to bring my own pain to something. I mean, contrary to my happy-go-luckiness, I have so much darkness in there. Playing Edie, I felt like s---. I thought, 'I'm afraid beyond anything I've ever known. I'm miserable; I'm scared; I feel sick all the time.' And I was like, 'Good! At least I have somewhere to put it.' You know what? I'm not f---in' happy all the time. I like making people feel good, but it was great not to have to please anybody. I was out there for myself and for her."

On How Her Role Reminded Her of Rehab: "I got institutionalized as a kid, and I felt like I was back there. A lot of times I found myself unhappy and isolated, and the only other time I felt that way was when I was in there. It was absolutely trying to relearn to live. You are learning to become someone else."

On Her Parents: "He was such a flighty bird -- unattainable and off doing his own thing. I'm sure it's affected my relationships with men. I'm sure I'm sadder about it than I admit, but I accept that a lot easier than my mother's and my relationship, which is more tumultuous ... My mother and I split ways when I was very young and have never really reconciled.

On Her Relationship With Strokes Rocker Fabrizio Moretti: "One of the most, if not the most, important relationships I've had in my life. We're still very close. I'm just learning who I am and how relationships work and how to make them function. No different from anyone else."

No comments: