Thursday, October 30, 2008

Jada Pinkett Smith parenting techniques


Jada Pinkett Smith is featured in the November issue of Cookie magazine and discusses how she and Big Willie Style have raised their children and kept them on the opposite side of bratty and stuck up. She says there's really six main rules they follow.

1. EAT AS A FAMILY
There's flexibility about when they eat breakfast and lunch, but dinner together is sacred."
2. ENLIST HELP
"I'm lucky to have a lot of people in my world who help me "[My mother] travels with me all the time, and when I travel and the kids aren't with me, she stays with them."
3. DRINK WATER
"I tell them, 'You have three bottles of water a day, then drink what you want. I'm always like, 'Listen, we've got to keep our bodies strong -- we got too much stuff to do!'"
4. RESPECT THEIR BOUNDARIES
"Staying out of kids' space can teach them to be responsible for their own decisions and mistakes. Is it their room, or are they borrowing the space while they're living in your house? If it's theirs, then they should be able to do whatever they want with it. If it's their clothes, they have the right to do whatever they want with those clothes. We have to give them some freedom to be who they are."
5. CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES
"Who is it going to hurt, really, if she has orange balloon pants on the red carpet? I try to stay outside my ego and what I want and to respect them as I expect them to respect me."
6. EXPOSE AND EDUCATE
"We go to church as a family on Sunday, but we study world religion during the week as well. We read excerpts from the Bible, from Hindu texts, Kabbalah, Judaism...."

Obviously, Will and Jada are doing something right, because you NEVER hear anything about their kids really, and more often than not, no news is good news.

No comments: